Writing product descriptions for your online store can be a daunting task.
Some people (myself included) find it hard to write sales copy. REALLY hard.
Rather than tossing it into the too hard basket, I’m here today to provide you with a few tips to get you started on how to create awesome product descriptions that are easy to write and also perfectly sell your products. I like to call this win/win.
Here are my five tips to writing sales copy, for people who hate writing sales copy.
1. Start with the customer in mind and speak to them in a language they can relate to/understand/ or expect from a brand like yours
If are you super fancy and corporate, then sound like that. If you are a youth brand and a speaking to a younger audience than sound like that. Make sure your tone fits your brand, there is nothing worse than a brand trying to be cool, when they are quite clearly not.
2. Writing in small easy to digest sentences. You don’t need to write war and peace. Brevity rules when it comes to writing product descriptions. ( incidentally these are also easier to write)
3. Use dot points to highlight technical information. For example:
- Italian Lycra
- Original Digital Print
4. Tell them how they can use the product (solve a customer’s problem and they will love you for life) I literally TELL the customer to buy the product by using the following:
BUY THIS IF YOU ARE:
Looking for ultra comfy bikini bottoms
Looking for value (reversible = 2 for 1)
Wanting to mix and match
5. Don’t try and write it all at once. Writing copy can be very draining so picking the right time to write about your products is going to have an effect on how great your copy is.
If you aren’t “feeling” it put it to one side and come back to it.
Create a notebook in evernote so if inspiration strikes and you are on the go you can jot it down and sync it to your computer for when you come back it it later.